Thursday, March 3, 2016

Never Forsaken


“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations… teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:  and, lo, I am with you alway…” Matthew 28: 19-20

God has shown me He is with me in my deepest, darkest hours. After two years of dealing with divorce lawyers, I was totally devastated. I didn’t want to be divorced. I didn’t believe in divorce, but I had no choice in the matter. I felt so all alone. A black blanket of despair dropped over me. I had a nervous breakdown. After being hospitalized, and God showing the doctor the right medicine to give me, I got my smile back. However, I had no self-confidence. What was my purpose now? What could I do? I was a retired teacher, but I couldn’t even take care of my grandson. The pressure was too much.

We have a Christian Day Care at my church. God put it on my heart to ask them if I could read to the children in the Day Care. The director thought it was a great idea. My daughter said it would be good for me. I agreed it could help build my confidence, and I knew it was something I could do, since I have my Master’s in Reading.

I‘ve been reading to the children and singing Christian children’s songs with them for at least five years. It warms my heart every time I go into the room and see their little faces. They show me their boo boos and tell me about their new shoes.  The other day one little boy, who goes to my church, showed me a picture of him holding his new baby sister. After we sing, I get hugs from everyone. That makes my day and makes me feel all warm inside. I’ve even been to their graduation, and they gave me flowers.

I started praying for Those in Harm’s Way, in our church Prayer Room. The coordinator wanted me not to read about all the sicknesses since I had been so depressed. So I pray for those in the military or the police force.  Getting close to God in the Prayer Room and talking to the people who have made the prayer requests has brought me closer to God.

I also teach ESL at church. We have a tutoring program on Monday nights, and I help teach the parents who struggle with English. I have drawn so close to them that we have become like family. One lady who was Russian and older (she later died), was faithful and always tried so hard to pronounce and understand English. She loved taking word cards and arranging them into sentences. I came to love her and still miss her. I work with mostly Spanish speaking ladies now. They have cooked tamales that I have purchased, and have brought me Christmas presents. I teach the SS class for the Karen from Burma, who have a church within our church, once a month. They are precious people.

I have met students from all over the world by being a Friend Family for the Piedmont Baptist International Fellowship. They practice their English with me, and I try to show them the love of Christ. Now, I am also the director of our church Women’s Missionary Union, and I have been on mission trips to Mexico, the Dominican Republic, and Guatemala. I plan to go on another mission trip to Brazil this May.

God has kept His promise and has never left me or forsaken me. He has allowed me to be part of His Great Commission. Thank you, Lord, for loving me, and always being with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment