Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Perseverance Brings Hope


“…we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope.” Romans 5: 3

Perseverance is continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties failure or opposition.   

In a message by Chip Ingram, he told of a man whom he met who had been married sixty some years. His wife was an invalid, and he took care of her all the time. He only took out time to play golf for a couple hours a week.  Chip asked him how he could do this. He said it was because he loved her so much. He wanted to show her how thankful he is for all she had done for him. That is perseverance in suffering.

God does that same for us. We usually think it is so awful to suffer, but suffering helps us learn to be steadfast in our love for God. We develop character, and this brings us hope. We know God is teaching us to depend on Him even when everything is dark.  The hope we have is the knowledge that we have heaven to look forward to. I read of a woman who approached the leader of a stroke retreat and said she was glad he had a stroke. She said if he hadn’t had the stroke these retreats would never have gotten started. 

I can’t say that I was rejoicing when my mom was suffering from Parkinson’s disease. I was told that I had a victim mentality. I was determined to make sure she had the best care. I was so upset she was over medicated.  The side effects of her medicines made me hurt for her and angry that she couldn’t get help. She loved chocolate, and I wanted her to be able to enjoy it even if she couldn’t swallow that well. It was so hard for me to see any joy in the situation. But when she couldn’t swallow anymore she just quit talking, closed her eyes, and after two weeks she went to be with Jesus. I know God’s love gave me peace, and I am left with the hope that I will see her someday.
What trials are you going through today? Prayer is the sword that helps us keep alert with all perseverance to make supplication for all the saints and for ourselves. Paul told Timothy to pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. (I Timothy 6:11)

I have learned from my experiences that God can give you hope and joy again if you have faith in Him, and His power to teach you and develop your character. God has restored my joy. My mom is not here with me now, but I have precious memories of my mother’s love for me. Also my grandson was God’s gift to me and gave me my smile back. I have hope, and I also desire to tell others what God can do for them. I feel my character has been developed. God has shown me it is a sin not to allow Him to teach me endurance and hope through my trials. May we all learn to persevere and receive the hope God has for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment