Monday, February 8, 2016

Renewed Love


 

“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”  I Thess. 5: 11

We all love to receive cards, myself included.  I had never had a hobby, but a lady in our SS class asked several of us if we wanted to learn how to make hand-made cards. It has been several years now, and God has transformed my way of thinking about myself as a creative artist. I can now construct a card and write verses in it to inspire and build up others.  In other words, cards are a new way of conveying hope to those in need of encouragement.

At our last card-making class our instructor bought a cake with Happy Stamping 2016 on it. She said she wanted us to pray over our ministry of making and sending cards. One of the women in the class related how she knew of a woman who died at 90 years of age. The minister at her funeral asked for anyone who had received a card from her to raise their hands. Hands went up all over the room. We all agreed we can leave a lasting impression with our cards, too. By assembling these cards, we can fulfill Paul’s admonishment in I Thessalonians 5:11. 

Christmas cards are ones we may keep out for the whole month of December or save them for years. Christmas cards help us remember that God loved us and sent His Son as a baby to later die for our sins. They remind us Jesus is the light of the World, and He was the one worshipped by shepherds and wise men alike. 

Birthday cards let us know someone remembers us on our special day. Someone takes the time to make a card just for us. My daughter always picks just the right card with verses that fit the personality and special characteristics of the receiver. In my case, she knows how to pick a card that makes me feel like the best mom on earth, and the greatest example of a Christian. She adds her own special note which always brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Some of my favorite cards to make are Valentine Cards.  This year I made several cards. One had many layers of cardstock, a heart in the center, and a white lacy edge at the bottom with a pink satin ribbon and bow. We always think of Valentine’s Day being just for our sweethearts, but I think it is a good time to be reminded of God’s love and care for us. My cards this year include this inscription:

 II Coro. 13: 14 “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you…” 

Praying you will recall

That at the heart

Of the matter

Is the love of

God for us all.

 

I’m praying God will put on your heart the desire to use your talents to express His love to everyone you know.  May you bring hope and renewal to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment